Your first session:
I am committed to helping you. Please take the time to read over these guidelines. I hope that you enjoy working with me and gain the maximum benefits from your treatments!
What to expect from your consultation
When you come in for your first visit, we will discuss your goals and what you’d like to achieve from our work together. After we’ve established your goals I will perform an assessment of your body to be able to estimate how long it will take, working together, to achieve them. Then I will create an individualized plan tailored to you. Depending on your needs, we may setup 10 sessions approximately one week apart, then begin a maintenance plan that fits into your schedule and budget.
Keep in mind, it is much easier to schedule out your visits in advance for a few reasons. First of all, if you do so you will have an easier time remembering them. Secondly, you will not have to be concerned about losing your session time to another client. Additionally, you can receive discounts if you pay up front for a package. It’s an all-around win/win for you so I urge you to consider booking in advance.
How to prepare for your first visit
- Drink plenty of pure water, both before and after a session
- Arrive on time! It’s your session time, if you are late you lose it.
- Depending on what type of work you are doing with me, come dressed appropriately!
- Females please wear athletic shorts and a sports bra or bikini top, Males please wear athletic shorts. Please bring with you additional loose and comfortable clothing, preferably a short sleeve shirt and shorts.
Before each session
- Be sure to inform me of any changes in your medical history since your last visit. This is especially important if you develop diabetes, circulatory or heart disease, have surgery, or become pregnant.
- Eat only a light meal or come on an empty stomach. The treatments work better when they are not competing with digestion. Lying face down on a full stomach may be uncomfortable.
- It is best not to consume stimulants such as coffee, soft drinks, or sugary substances within 2 hours prior to a session.
- Relax and concentrate on breathing during your session. This increases the effectiveness of the work. Inform your therapist if you find you are holding your breath to try and tolerate pain on sore points of your body, which is an indication for the therapist to decrease pressure.
- Remove all jewelry if possible before each treatment.
After each session
- Be sure to drink plenty of good clean water. This aids your body in recovering from the session and removing lactic acid.
- Some people feel energized while others feel like taking a nap. If you feel tired, you should lie down and rest. Give yourself time to experience the effects of the work. Sometimes your therapist may recommend that you do particular stretches, exercises, or even go for a walk. Please try your best to follow the suggestions, they will only help your work integrate better and give you more long lasting results.
Most people find once a week to be beneficial. However, others find that they respond better to the work if they have more time between sessions to settle in to the new changes happening in their body, so up to two weeks between sessions is ok. This really depends on the goals you have from your bodywork. Athletes looking to increase performance can benefit from upwards of two sessions per week. It is not advised to receive treatments when ill, especially with any type of communicable illness. Please call to reschedule in the case that you are ill.
Possible side effects
- Any symptoms or tendencies already present may be accelerated or brought to the surface in the process of being energized, healed, and released, particularly with acute problems.
- A previously undetected condition might surface – such as pain from gallstones you didn’t know you had
- Swelling of the lymph nodes as clearing of an infection is accelerated
- Suppressed anger, irritation, or anxiety might surface
- You may have more active dreaming, more intuitive thoughts
- You may experience muscle soreness that may last up to 2 days, as if you had worked out
- Some emotional traumas are stored in the body as tension, so treatment can release painful memories
- There may be release of lactic acid, so please drink plenty of water to flush it out of your system
- There may be tingling or burning sensations as circulation increases
- You may experience fatigue and/or headaches
- Most effects are noticeable within 24 hours. Many effects are subtle and cumulative, occurring after a series of sessions.